👻 Good morning, and welcome to the Daily Authority! I had a great weekend, but I swear they get a little shorter every month.
Today’s newsletter is for movie lovers, specifically spooky movie lovers. Next week is Halloween, so there’s no better time to stock up on confectionery and plan your horror movie playlists. Android Authority‘s streaming team has been hard at work seeking out the greatest spooky flicks ever made. Find a small sample of those lists below.
Spooky season streaming
20th Century Fox
This is Ripley
- First off, no sci-fi horror movie list is complete without Alien.
- The 1979 Ridley Scott-directed flick locks an angry alien in a spaceship with an ill-prepared crew.
- We love Sigourney Weaver’s performance as Ellen Ripley and the titular alien’s Lovecraftian design.
- There have been plenty of sequels and spinoffs to date. We’d shout out to the 1986 James Cameron follow-up and the 2014 survival horror game Alien: Isolation as two properties worth experiencing.
- However, few movies have come close to challenging Alien as one of the most frightening flicks.
- Catch the movie on Starz.
He’s got an arm off
- If Alien is too intense for you, try Shaun of the Dead.
- Grounded in George A. Romero’s zombieverse, directed by Edgar Wright, and starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, this movie packs everything.
- In brief, the drunken and irresponsible Shaun faces an existential crisis when his girlfriend ends their relationship just before the zombie apocalypse.
- Faced with a rare sense of duty, he journeys to save her, his family, and his friends from jagged jaws.
- Character arcs are tight, the screenplay is riveting, and the humor breaks the tension at just the right moments.
- We’d recommend viewing the two accompanying Cornetto Trilogy films: Hot Fuzz and At World’s End.
- Catch the flick on Peacock.
Sorry, but you’re infected
- Battling zombies in a pub isn’t too bad, but what about a high-speed train?
- Train to Busan imagines this exact scenario.
- This 2016 South Korean flick stars Gong Yu (The Silent Sea, Squid Game) as a father trying desperately to reconnect with his daughter.
- But while on a train from Seoul to Busan, the occupants rapidly morph into zombies, threatening their lives.
- It’s a great flick with swift action sequences and a heart-wrenching ending.
- Directed Yeon Sang-ho went on to direct the 2020 sequel Peninsula and Netflix‘s Hellbound, which is due for a second season in 2023.
- Catch Train to Busan on The Roku Channel.
I want more!
Picture this. You’re about to write a mid-term exam when the supervisor tells you to create an anti-cheating hat from things lying around the classroom. What do you do?
You make this, of course.
Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz / Facebook
- Mechanical engineering students at a college in the Philippines were asked by their tutor to create homemade anti-cheating hats to wear during their recent exams (via BBC).
- The professor behind the idea notes that the hats have been “really effective” in ensuring “integrity and honesty.”
- There are some great examples, too. One student made binoculars from toilet roll inners. Another wore a motorcycle helmet. Another made the egg carton contraption pictured above. Resourceful indeed.
- The students’ designs have since gone viral, and we’re here for it.
- Anything that makes learning (and especially exams) fun should be applauded.
- We think this would also be great for office workers and those easily distracted work-from-home folk.
Have a great week ahead!
Andy Walker, Editor.